Thanks to the hard work of some EVTA members, we now have a birding map for to show the hot spots on our in-town trail. Whether you’re an ornithologist or a recreational bird watcher, it’s time to grab the binoculars and go. Check the Trails/Maps tab above to view the map .
In case you missed it, here is a December 16th UNC-TV segment about the Mountains To Sea Trail and how the Elkin Valley Trails Association fits into the larger plan.
Statewide there is only one place where 3 major trails come together….Elkin! The Mountains to Sea trail and the Yadkin river trail are both state sanctioned. The Over Mountain Victory Trail is a federally sanctioned trail. Elkin Valley Trails Association, through all volunteer efforts and donations, supports all three trails….constructing, maintaining and publicizing. Please join us!
Check out our Trails section to read about trails that are now open or where we have built facilities for public use. Updates will be added as additional sections are completed.
Recent trail work includes trail maintenance jobs such as repairing signs. But there’s new activity going on this summer too. We’ve had lots of new trailblazing activity including the mountain bike course. Bridges at Grassy Creek Winery and the new 180-foot bridge in Elkin are also under way.
Updated with round two of 2015 snow days.
Who says there’s nothing good on television anymore?
Elkin was featured on the February 5th, 2015 episode of UNC-TV’s North Carolina Weekend, with special emphasis on the EVTA’s work and vision.
6,574 hours. That’s just shy of 274 days. According to Bill Blackley, the EVTA Governing Group Chairperson, those are the hours the organization dedicated to various projects in 2014. It’s quite a list:
• Three Boy Scout Eagle projects
• Six benches
• Three new bridges of 25, 25 and 140-feet
• Two rain shelters
• Viewing deck
• Steel art structure construction
• Middle and high school work days
• Native species planting and grant work
• New trail work
• New signage construction and installation
• Memorial Monument for Fallen Warrior
• Horseback trail construction
• Website upgrade
• Watershed management
• Trout fishing initiation
• Mountain bike planning
• Christmas decorations on trail
• Ebirding with designation of birding hotspot
• Handicap accessibility planning and implementation
• Farmer’s Market booth
• QR coding signs
• Book, hat and shirt sales
• Wellness walk and program with local hospital
• Insane Terrain foot race
• Tour de Vino bike ride
• Vineyard stomps
• Tour de Yadkin
• Elkin Valley Fiddlers Float
• Trails Boogie and Silent Auction
• Duck & Turtle Regatta – partnered with Yadkin Valley Rotary
EVTA business and public relations:
- Grant applications
- Project management with high school, radio & TV programs
- Negotiating new easements, new trails, plus general bushwhacking and hobnobbing
- 17 presentations (at least)
- Coordination of construction donations
- Coordination with towns, counties and regional organizations like Piedmont Triad Council of Governments, Yadkin Valley Chamber, Yadkin Valley Rotary, Yadkin Valley Heritage Corridor and Overmountain Victory Trail
- Constant Contact monthly news blast
- Mailing fundraiser
- Contact with NC National Guard and NC DOT units
- Create master plan for Mountains to Sea Trail from Stone Mountain to Pilot Mountain
- Shared successes at Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail “Trail Town” symposium
2015 promises to be just as productive. Projects include the 200-foot bridge, new trail and mountain bike course construction and maintenance.